This is the original website of the Canada-Hungary Educational Foundation (CHEF). It is no longer active but has been archived on the www.hungarianpresence.ca site which CHEF started in 2007 as its special informational and educational project to showcase the diversity of the Hungarian experience in a culturally diverse Canada.
Photo courtesy of the Department of Citizenship and Immigration
- to encourage research and dissemination about the history, integration process, and participation of Hungarians in Canada; and about the political and public policy ramifications of this event (especially in relation to immigration, multiculturalism, and foreign policy)
- to search out, access, make available to the Canadian public material relating to the arrival, contributions, life experiences of Hungarian refugees to Canada
- to research and document the response of the Canadian government, Canadian institutions, and of ordinary Canadians
- to collect and digitize existing data, documents, videos, memorabilia
- to provide a forum for exchange of ideas and sharing information about activities that will take place to mark the occasion (international conference, concerts, exhibitions)
- to explore the nature of Hungarian identity in Canada today, especially by involving young people in all aspects of the project (video/essay competition, research and digitizing internships etc.)
- to develop oral history projects, virtual exhibitions, and generally showcase the diversity of Canadian Hungarian arts and cultural products
- to develop appropriate long-term projects such as endowed scholarships, awards or exchanges
|Become a supporter of the Foundation. We welcome your ideas, suggestions, information and any help or cooperation you can offer. If you can make a financial contribution, we will issue a charitable receipt and acknowledge the donation in a mutually agreeable and appropriate fashion. To make a donation or to get in touch, please contact us.