Éva Kossuth awarded Order of Merit of Hungary
On August 24, 2008, André Molnár Hon. Consul-General of Hungary for British Columbia presented the Order of Merit to Éva Kossuth at the Hungarian Cultural Society of Vancouver. The official citation reads:
The President of the Republic of Hungary
ORDER OF MERIT OF THE REPUBLIC OF HUNGARY
– KNIGHT’s CROSS –
to Mme. Éva Kossuth
Editor-in-Chief of the Western Canadian publication, Tárogató, in recognition of her endeavours in maintaining the Hungarian identity and disseminating Hungarian culture in Western Canada.
Éva has spent many years introducing Hungarian culture to a wider Canadian audience. Among her activities are the following:
- in 1981 she organized the Béla Bartók Centenary celebrations in Vancouver;
- in 1982 did the same on the occasion of the Zoltán Kodály Centenary;
- Between 1991-1993, represented the Hungarian business community on the Ethno-Business Council of British Columbia;
- Since 2000 has been involved in the translation and editing of the English version of the multi-volume Encyclopaedia Hungarica;
- Since 1999 she has been Editor-in-Chief of the Tárogató, a monthly publication of the Hungarian Cultural Society of Greater Vancouver.
We would like to congratulate her on this well-deserved honour. For more information on Eva’s work read an interview in Hungarian from Tárogató. We are pleased to note that Eva has agreed to be a regional correspondent for our website.
September 1st 2008.